In the Name of Allāh,
the Entirely Merciful, the Especially Merciful
Praise is due to Allāh, Lord of the worlds, may the blessings and peace be upon our master Muḥammad, the last of prophets, on his family, and all his companions.
Resolution No. 219 (3/23)
Invalidators of Fasting in the Field of Therapeutics (Continuation to the Previous Resolution)
The Council of the International Islamic Fiqh Academy of the Organization of Islamic Cooperation, holding its 23rd session in al-Madinah al-Munawwarah, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, on 19–23 Ṣafar 1440h (28 October – 1 November 2018),
In continuation to the Academy resolution no. 93 (1/10) on the Invalidators of Fasting in the Field of Therapeutics, that identified the issues required for re- search in this session, which are as follows:
- Bloodletting and
- Blood extraction for laboratory test, blood donation, or blood
- Hemodialysis and peritoneal
- Devices penetrating the anus, such as enema, suppositories or
- General anaesthesia
Having examined the research papers submitted to the Academy on the subject,
Having listened to the in-depth discussions,
- Invalidators of fasting are deliberate acts of eating, drinking, marital in- tercourse (and their likes), and vomiting.
- The inner part of the body that invalidates fasting due to what reaches it is: whatever exceeds the throat to the digestive system, and reaches the stomach whether it is nutritious or non-nutritious and usual or unusual
A: Non-Invalidators of Fasting
- Asthma inhaler does not affect the validity of fasting, as it targets the res- piratory system, and the amount of its medication reaching the stomach is very small, forgivable, unintentional, and is lesser than what reaches the stomach from the remains of mouth rinsing during ablutions and from brushing teeth with miswāk (natural arak toothbrush).
- Blood extraction for laboratory analysis or for donation.
- Anything entering through the anus, such as injections, suppositories, endoscopes, and ointments, except for nutrient injections.
- Hunger suppressant
- Liposuction unless accompanied by injection of nutrient fluids.
- Endoscopes or finger medical
- Fasd (bloodletting/phlebotomy) and hijama (wet cupping).
- Loss of consciousness due to general anesthesia for a part of the day, even if unconsciousness persists until the end of the day, provided anaesthesia has been performed during fasting and has not been accompanied by
B: Invalidators of Fasting
- Whatever enters the digestive system, exceeds the mouth and pharynx and dissolves or digests food, i.e. oesophagus and intestines.
- Whatever nurtures the body of the fasting person through any natural outlet, such as nutrient injections, because it falls within the sense of nourishment and contradicts the purpose of fasting.
- Respiratory gas humidification for the treatment of asthma is an invali- dator because the amount reaching the stomach is much larger than the forgivable
- Blood transfusion as it contains a large quantity of
- Hemodialysis, and peritoneal dialysis because they transmit a large amount of water, salts, and sucrose.
- Asthma inhaler capsules containing a dry powder because a part of it is a substance that reaches the stomach.
- The treating doctor plays a very important role in determining the neces- sity or the need for the execution of therapeutic or diagnostic interven-
tions which may invalidate fasting. If such a procedure is not necessary and can be postponed to the time of non-fasting, the doctor must point this out to his patient.
- Work on raising patients’ awareness of whatever pertains to their acts of worship in a correct and rewarded manner based on Also, call to consult reliable scholars to clarify confusions and issues they may en- counter during fasting.
- Inform and advise renal failure patients, who are not expected to recover, not to fast in order to preserve their health, that they are excused, and should pay a fidya (compensation) consisting of feeding one needy person for each day not fasted.
Indeed, Allāh is All-Knowing.