Resolution No. 233 (4/24) on Tolerance in Islam: Socio-International Necessity and Effect
In the Name of Allah, the Entirely Merciful, the Especially Merciful
All praise is due to Allah, Lord of the worlds, may the blessings and peace of Allah be upon our master Muhammad, the seal of prophets, on his family, and all his companions
Resolution No. 233 (4/24)
Tolerance in Islam:
Socio-International Necessity and Effect
The Council of the International Islamic Fiqh Academy of the Organization of Islamic Cooperation, held in its twenty-fourth session in Dubai (United Arab Emirates), on 7-9 Rabi’ al-Awal 1440, corresponding to 4-6 November 2019,
Having reviewed the research papers submitted to the Academy on the subject of Tolerance in Islam: Socio-International Necessity and Effect.
Having listened to the extensive discussions on the subject,
Resolves the following
First, confirming the resolutions, recommendations, statements and press releases of the Academy Council calling for peaceful coexistence.
Second, tolerance is a basic principle, with proofs in the Holy Quran and the Noble Sunnah. It had many applications throughout the life of Prophet Muhammad (May the blessing and peace of Allah be upon him), in the actions of the companions (may Allah be pleased with them), as well as in Islamic history.
The Charter of Medina is one of the most notable examples of tolerance towards non-Muslims in the time of Prophet Muhammad (May the blessing and peace of Allah be upon him).
Third, tolerance is enjoined among Muslims as well as between Muslims and non-Muslims.
Fourth, it is critically urgent to work on the principle of tolerance in both words and deeds, and all areas. Tolerance is one of the most important consequences of peaceful coexistence and social cohesion. It is essential to maintain social relations and unity with all its components, as well as to preserve national unity.
Fifth, the Council of the Academy commends the following:
- International initiatives, declarations, and efforts by world states.
- The United Arab Emirates’ various activities to achieve tolerance and coexistence between peoples reflect an excellent image of Islam’s tolerance and coexistence.
The Council also recommends the following:
– Include the values of tolerance in educational programs and curricula.
– Include the values of tolerance in all areas of religious discourse.
– Highlight the values of tolerance in the media and diverse social networks.
– Urge experts and intellectuals to give prominence to writing, translating, and propagating the values of tolerance via the media.
– Invite the United Nations and its Member states to enact laws and sign international treaties that criminalize xenophobia, exclusion, fanaticism, and racial discrimination, and to reinforce these within constitutions of its Member states.
Allah Knows Best