Combatting Moral Evils, Areas of Islamic Unity, Methods of Benefiting from them, and the Islamization of Education in the Muslim World Today
In the Name of Allāh,
the Entirely Merciful, the Especially Merciful
Praise is due to Allāh, Lord of the worlds, may the blessings and peace be upon our master Muḥammad, the last of prophets, on his family, and all his companions.
Resolution No. 38 (13/4) Combatting Moral Evils, Areas of Islamic Unity,
Methods of Benefiting from them, and the Islamization of Education in the Muslim World Today
The Council of the International Islamic Fiqh Academy of the Organization of the Islamic Conference, holding its 4th session in Jeddah, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, on 18–23 Jumādā al-Akhira 1408h (6–11 February 1988),
Having reviewed the research papers submitted to the Academy concerning the means of combating immorality, explaining the sufferings of the world at large from the effects of immorality that has infiltrated the Muslim world in a way displeasing to Allāh the Almighty, in addition to being incompatible with the vanguard role assigned to the Ummah, namely, to lead mankind towards a sincerity in actions, ethics and behavior,
In harmony with the complimentary qualities of Islam; given the fact that ethics are one of the most important aspects of religion and that the complete fruits of Islam can only be reaped when all principles and provisions of Shariah are applied in all fields of life,
- That efforts be exerted to straighten out and strengthen the religious doctrinal incentive through a comprehensive program promoting an awareness of the spiritual benefits accruing from a sound
- That efforts be made in the Muslim world to clear all media, press, television and radio, as well as commercial ads, of any factor that stimulates lustfulness, causes deviations and leads to
- That a practical plan be worked out to safeguard the Islamic originality and heritage; abort all attempts to westernize and eliminate Islamic identity; to face all forms of challenges, to combat intellectual and cultural invasion that does not conform to Islamic principles and ethics. Strict Islamic censorship be enforced on tourist activities and scholarship
abroad in order to avoid the impairment of the Islamic personality and ethics.
- That education must be Islam-oriented; that all sciences be taught from an Islamic perspective; that religious subjects be basic subjects at all stages and all specialties; in order to uphold the Islamic doctrine and consolidate Islamic ethics in spirit and enable the Ummah to remain at the vanguard in all fields of science constantly.
- That the Muslim family be raised in a sound manner; that marriage be facilitated; that parents be urged to provide their children with a proper upbringing and rear a strong generation, truly venerating the Almighty, continuously propagating and upholding Islam; that women be trained to undertake their role as mother and housewife; and that an end be put to the growing phenomenon of resorting to foreign governess, in particular non-Muslim governess.
- That all measures be taken to ensure that youth is provided with an Islamic education, that enables them to abide by the tenets of Islam and its moral code of conduct, always aware of their duty towards The Almighty and to their country, and able to ridding themselves of the spiritual void which incites them in indulging in drugs and spirits and all forms of licentiousness. Youth should be involved in their national affairs and be given responsibilities, each according to his abilities and competence; that they be encouraged to fill their leisure time with useful activities and that wholesome recreation activities, sports, and competitions be encouraged and directed to true Islamic
Having reviewed the research papers submitted to the Academy regarding the areas of Islamic unity and how to benefit from them, and taking into account the primordial importance of the bond of Islam for the people of the Ummah: an indivisible bond, a sound foundation for the desired solidarity and a solid basis for any civilizational edifice that aims at closing the ranks of the Ummah, coordinating the efforts exerted to stand up to contemporary challenges and securing dignity and progress,
Having considered that the bond of Islam is a strong incentive and an un- failing factor which can direct and coordinate the policies of Muslim states in the various fields of social and economic development and strengthen solidarity, cooperation, and reciprocal sympathy among the peoples of the Ummah, so
that they may get rid of all forms of dependence which impede the fulfilment of their aspirations to progress, invulnerability and prosperity,
- That the Islamic faith be upheld and cleared of all alterations; to warn against any attempt to undermine it or sow doubt about its principles, fragment the ranks of Muslims and set them against each
- That emphasis be laid on the importance attached by the Islamic Fiqh Academy to Islamic research and Fiqh studies which stimulates the ability to stand up to intellectual challenges kindled by contemporary exigencies, and on the great interest taken by Islamic Fiqh in the problems of society; that Islamic Fiqh be considered a vital factor in the intellectual renaissance of the Ummah, and that it may be more closely associated with the plans worked out and legislation enacted by Muslim countries in all fields that affect
- That closer coordination be ensured as regards to contents and methodology of education curricula, to secure compatibility with the sound intellectual civilization developed by Islam, with a view to rearing a generation of Muslims who draw their faith from the same sources, abide by the same conceptual orientation and share the same pride in their civilizational affiliation.
- That a higher order of priority be given to scientific research in the various fields of knowledge, and that 1% of the GNP be appropriated for the financing of research programs and establishment of scientific laboratories, on the basis of coordination and cooperation among Muslim world’s
- That education programs comprising a number of major themes shall be worked out in collaboration with Islamic Universities, to be aimed at Fiqh studies. Furthermore, a higher committee of Muslim scholars shall be established to follow up and approve these research activities and establish a Prize of Merit to be awarded to the best
- That all information media, whether press, television or radio in the lands of Muslims have always as objective to instill veneration of Allāh in this world, in addition to cementing unity, spread good, encourage virtue and shun principles that abet heresy, vitiate both thought and morals and lead to deviation from the straight path.
- That an Islamic economy be established which emanates neither from East nor from West, but an absolutely Islamic economy and a common
Islamic market be set up, where Muslims would cooperate in their production activities, and in marketing their goods on their own, without resorting to other parties, because the economy is the backbone of any society, and its integration will chart a course of unity for the Ummah.
Having considered that the Islamization of education in Muslim countries is today an imperative need without which Muslim generations cannot be shaped into a harmonious edifice, integrated in thought, outlook, behavior and action. Towards this end,
All sciences must be put within an Islamic context, both premise and objective, within a framework of Islamic tenets, and that Islam, by its systems and rules, is a reference. The Islamic creed must underline the formulation of this educa- tional and pedagogical curriculum. The main characteristics of the “Islamization of education” may be summarized as follows:
- That the Islamic Faith builds the foundation for greater Islamic ideas, which provide an overall view of the universe, man and life, and teaches man who his Creator is, the submission of the universe to the Almighty, and man’s relation with his Creator and with
- That Islam be the pivot of social, human, economic and political sciences; that the human theories of Islam be put in focus and related to the creation of the universe, of man and life; that this be undertaken in coordination with the Islamic Organization for Medical Sciences of Kuwait, and the Islamic Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (ISESCO).
- That emphasis be laid on the noxiousness of materialistic and heretical sciences which are in contradiction with the Islamic creed, and of misleading habits, such as fortune telling, magic, witchcraft and astrology; that a warning be sounded against any science denounced and prohibited by Islam, as well as sciences that have inherent sinfulness and
- That the history of science and knowledge be reformulated to lay emphasis on their development and the contribution made thereto by Muslims, as well as to clear them of eastern and western theories that infiltrate into them to deviate the historical path of truth; that the classification of sciences and research curricula be reviewed from an
Islamic perspective, through Islamic scientific centers and institutes and centers for Islamic economy, in the various Muslim countries.
- That sciences which deal with the universe, man and life have their relationship with the Creator restored. Scientific researchers who deal with these fields must view them as the product of His work’s beautiful divine creativity and perfection.
- That the criteria, standards and rulings emanating from Islam, or in consonance with its objectives be the principles governing all sciences; that the shortcomings of western curricula be stressed, those which alleged a schism between religion and sciences, or have established some sciences on false premises, such as history, economy and social
It should be recalled that such project does exist and could provide a basis for the Islamization of education; indeed, it could be one of its essential instru- ments, namely the project of “Islamization of knowledge.” The International Institute of Islamic Thought is working out a plan on this issue as well as an implementation program through articles, publications and seminars.
Indeed, Allāh is the Giver of success.